Acetonitrile is the colourless liquid, it is the simplest organic nitrile. It is produced mainly as a by product of acrylonitrile manufacture. It is used as a polar aprotic solvent in organic synthesis. It is used as a medium-polarity solvent that is miscible with water and range of organic solvents, but not saturated hydrocarbons. Acetonitrile dissolves a wide range of ionic and nonpolar compounds.
Synonyms : Cyanomethane, Ethanenitrile, Ethyl nitrile, Methanecarbonitrile, Methyl cyanide
- Colorless liquid
- Completely miscible with water and alcohols
- Chemically stable and is a strong solvent.
- CAS number : 75-05-8
- EC number : 200-835-2
- UN number : 1648
- MeSH : Acetonitrile
Molecular Formula : C2H3N
Appearance : Colorless liquid
Density : 786 mg ml-1
Boiling point : 81.3 to 82.1 °C; 178.2 to 179.7 °F; 354.4 to 355.2 K
Solubility in water : Miscible
Assay : 99.8%
- Used as solvent for extracting the butadiene, synthetic fibre and Some special coating.
- Used as solvent for removing the tar, phenol etc. from petroleum hydrocarbon in the petroleum industry.
- Used as solvent for extracting fatty acid from animal and vegetable oil in the medicine industry.
- Used for the reaction of recrystallization species of steroid drugs in the grease industry.
- Used as the intermediate of the medicine(Vitamin B1) and spice as the raw material to produce both triazine nitrogen fertilizer synergist.
- Used as denaturant of the alcohol.
- Used for compound ethylamine, aceticacid etc., and also used in fabric dyeing and the lighting industry.